Wednesday, March 30, 2011

How She Writes Changed My Life & the Antics of the Past Few Months

My family: Chad, Me, Jo, Sap, Chase in Fairhope, AL
She Writes changed my life in more ways than one. I began to post more poetry, conversed with writers across the globe and got the gig to start writing more forcefully- including putting my year book project on hold to focus on writing better instead of being one of those people who push out a book every couple of months (not saying those are not amazing, because there are Stephen King and Barbara Mertz/Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels for whom I am an avid admirer). It gave me the community to think, feel and grow as a writer, to know that I'm not alone in my strife to write something that is amazing, unique, and raw. My debt is to Kamy Wicoff who is one of the most brilliant people I know and without her and She Writes, I would not be where I am right now. As said best by Virginia Woolf and She Writes mantra (A Room of Her Own Just Got Bigger): "Women, then, have not had a dog's chance of writing poetry. That is why I have laid so much stress on money and a room of one's own."

Now, getting down to business after a paragraph rant. I suck at blogging (and I also suck at using technology, even though I'm young- 20, so there are all sorts of shades of technology idiocy and I sometimes mirror all of them at once). I know this. I embrace it, as I should. BUT, I am going to try and improve. Trying new things like: posting more often, making them meaningful, and posting things I've actually been working on. Now, in saying that, I would love to say how overly STOKED I am about National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo)! In starts in two days guys! TWO DAYS!! And I'm doing a verse story collection this year entitled, After the Storm. Here is the cover that I've made (minus the pastel-ish green for the binding):


Also, my "Meet the Author" piece is up on the Oil and Water...and Other Things That Don't Mix Blog ! "Meet Nicole Easterwood: "Black Waters", She Writes, and the Whole Damn Thing," which I am super excited about. Also, I was awarded the "Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award" by the phenomenal Brenda Kezar! So, a huge thank you and shout out goes to her!



Stuff that is on my "to-do" list:

- Transfer edits from Brand New Eyes and begin (seriously) editing Such Great Heights.

- Perfect query letters. I sent off one (multiple times) to Sarah LaPolla, but she never responded, even though she said she responded to ALL QUERIES. I sort of gave up on that one and am looking up, as always, without driving myself to insanity with worry and anticipation.


-To The Lighthouse Poetry Publication Prize- I am going to do this. I don't expect anything, but I at least need to see if I could write something meaningful enough to be considered. Plus the $1,000 wouldn't hurt either. I need extra cash for a plane ticket to Egypt! And, because of the wonderful site A Room of Her Own I also have this new goal.

- Literary Laundry- Submitting a small poem series (three pages) in hopes of being in the journal and nominated for one of these super cool prizes (yet another strike of optimism...which has, disgustingly been happening quite frequently lately)!



Me, Sap, and Jo in Gulf Shores, AL
Last, but not least, I took a vacation (shocker)! My sister, Jo, my cousin, Sap, and I all spent a week in the Gulf visiting family (especially our little brothers Chad & Chase whom I hadn't seen in six months), hanging out and going to the beach (while trying not to die on the way there and back- no offense, but the people who were driving in Gulf Shores and Foley are quite bad in the downtown parts). Also, I met for "California" people and had to learn two completely different languages while living in a house with people from three countries (United States, France, and Hungary) and three states (California, Alabama, South Carolina). We all had a blast cranking the music up and dancing, cooking and fighting over who's turn it was to do the dishes. Also, it's always fun to wake up and eat Little Debbie cakes and Sweet Southern Heat Barbeque chips. The Gulf is just as beautiful now as it has ever been and I should be heading there soon when all of the craziness of deadlines, prom, and National Poetry Month cease. Until then, I'll try to keep my sanity and new developing friendship going strong from across the state!





2 comments: